Friday, March 25, 2011

'Tis the Season for Epic Rides

Stephanie and I riding last summer
One of the things I love about spring is all the quality hours you get to spend with your friends on those looooong base rides. Of course, if you have friends like mine, there is always the added element of seeing just how far we are going to push it.... Cue Epic Ride #1 for the season. The route will start in the lovely town of Carborro, North Carolina (hopefully still in the happy throngs of a post-UNC Basketball win hangover)and spit us out somewhere near Charlotte, NC (No, I have not actually looked at the whole route), where we will be rescued by Coach Richard Armstrong to dry out and recoup at his parents house. Yes, I said dry out, not because we will be sweating buckets in the beautiful sunshine, but because we are lucky enough to pick a day which will allow us the added mental challenge of riding 125 miles in the rain. If this doesn't get Steph ready for Ironman St. George then nothing will!!! But, in all seriousness I'm very excited to attempt this ride. While I expect to get some solid cardio benefits from the sheer volume, the most important thing gained will be the confidence boost it provides for the future when I'm faced with another daunting challenge or painful race situation. So Happy Riding Season to everyone and I will let you know how it turns out. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment